Insurance HOME & RENTERS Get a Quote
Insurance MOTORCYCLE Get a Quote
Insurance BOAT & RV Get a Quote
Insurance SR22, FR44 & DWI Get a Quote
Insurance LIFE & HEALTH Get a Quote

What is an SR22 OR SR22 Insurance?

When convicted of certain violations in Virginia, DMV may require you to file an SR22 form in order to maintain your driver's license.  This form, sometimes called a "Proof of Insurance Form", is filed by your vehicle insurance company to DMV for "Insurance Monitoring".    It lets DMV know that you have insurance on every vehicle you register, and then they monitor you.   It's purpose is to notify DMV if your insurance ever cancels (for any reason).   If your vehicle insurance cancels, your insurance company is required to notify DMV, and your license is suspended immediately.   That is the purpose of an SR22.   To make sure you keep insurance coverage on every vehicle you register--and maintain that insurance.   If you don't, your driver's license will be suspended, and it is a painful and costly process to get it reinstated.

Who Needs an SR22?

An SR22 may be required for a number of different reasons, such as:  excessive points on your driving record, judgements, felony convictions or even failure to pay child support.  HOWEVER, the main reason for needing an SR22 in the state of VA is for getting caught with no vehicle insurance.  If you are caught without insurance on your vehicle (car, truck, motorcycle, RV, etc), and ticketed for Uninsured Motor Vehicle, your driver's license is normally suspended until you pay DMV a $500 fine, purchase insurance on the vehicle and file a "Proof of Insurance" form (SR22 Form) to DMV.

How Long is an SR22 required?

Cases vary, but normally you are required to file an SR22 for 3 years.  But, be careful.  Should you start filing an SR22 with DMV--and then stop for some reason (ie your insurance policy cancels for any reason while you  have valid tags on your vehicle)-- you will almost certainly be caught again and the whole 3 years starts over.  Generally, DMV doesn't care if the car is broken down or parked in your yard not being used.  If you have tags on the vehicle, it must maintain insurance.

What if I Don't own a vehicle?

If you are required to file an SR22, but don't own a vehicle, you must purchase insurance anyway, just so you can file an SR22 form and maintain your driver's license.  This type of insurance is called a NON-OWNER policy OR a NON-OWNER SR22 policy.   Some people refer to this as "Insurance on your License", which is a little misleading, but basically true.   You are buying a Liability Only insurance policy (even though you don't own a vehicle), just so you can have the insurance company file a "Proof of Insurance Form" (SR22) to DMV for you. 

What is an FR44 OR FR44 Insurance?

An FR44 for the state of VA works the EXACT SAME WAY as an SR22 for VA.   The difference is that an FR44 form is required for people who have had a DUI or DWI conviction.   It also requires that the person requiring the FR44 filing maintains insurance Liability Limits of at least 50/100/40 (double the state minimum limit of 25/50/20).   The other difference is that it is normally required for 5 YEARS, not 3--although every case is different.

If you have any further questions, or would like to get a no obligation Quote to have us file an SR22 OR FR44 form for you to DMV, please call us now!  We do these filings every day and can make the process painless for you.  We also do that at the lowest cost in the businesss.  Coverage is bound immediately and forms are filed to DMV instantaneously by computer.  Don't delay, call today. 

Get a quote today. Call Auto Insurers of Virginia at (800) 909-8103 for more information on Midlothian SR22 auto insurance.
Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version
  • National General
  • General
  • UNIG''
  • Augusta
  • Travelers
  • Agency Ins
  • American College
  • Foremost
  • Safeco
  • Grange
  • Hagerty
  • Mendota
  • The Hartford
  • Alfa
  • Progressive
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder