The cost of auto insurance depends on many individual factors. You may pay more than your neighbor. You may pay less than another person living in your home. Your rate may differ from someone who owns the same vehicle you have.
If you feel you are overpaying for car insurance, seek out a new policy that better reflects your needs. Consider the most common reasons you may pay more.
Drivers who are a higher risk will likely have more expensive auto insurance plans. A high-risk driver might be an individual who has numerous moving violations. This driver may have a history of accidents. A driver with numerous claims over his or her lifetime is usually a high risk in the eyes of their insurer.
Some vehicles are more expensive to insure. Some examples include the following:
- The vehicle is worth more than most others. Luxury vehicles fit into this area.
- The vehicle has hard-to-replace parts and fixtures. Customized vehicles fit here.
- Owners typically drive the vehicle faster. Sports cars are an example.
- The vehicle has historic significance. Classic and antique vehicles fit here.
Before you buy a car, find out what the auto insurance rate may be. Your insurer can provide you with a quote.
The Policy Features
The features on a car insurance policy play a role in how much the plan costs. The more coverage and the more types of coverage define the cost.
- A basic liability policy with state-required coverage often costs less than a plan with a higher liability limit.
- Comprehensive coverage costs a bit more. It also protects the value of your vehicle from fires, theft and other damage.
- A higher deductible can reduce the cost of auto insurance. You will pay more out of pocket before the policy kicks in.
There are ways to reduce auto insurance costs. You may be able to bundle the policy with other vehicles. Bundle it with your home insurance. Ask for discounts and available rewards programs. Discuss the options available to you to streamline your car insurance policy. These steps can help you keep the coverage you need but lower your costs. Most importantly, drive safely and minimize any claims on your policy to keep costs lower.
Work with your insurer to customize your policy to meet the specific needs of your vehicle. The primary goal is to minimize your risk. The policy should match that.
Need auto insurance? Let Auto Insurers of Virginia help. Call us at (804) 379-2697 for a fast, free Midlothian auto insurance quote.